Sunday, August 22, 2010

The World at Large

Paintings, sculptures, drawings, etc., that are larger than life are the most beautiful, in my own opinion (again, who cares?). If I were to walk into an empty, white-walled room, with only two pieces of artwork on the wall, which one would stand out: a large one, or a smaller one? Does it really matter the content? Size matter, people. Well, of course content matters too. The best pieces of artwork are the ones that say something. They take a chance, and make one look twice. The shock-value, is what I like to call it. Does that mean an artist has to create a huge painting of a dead, bloody body? No. It's the colors, the size, the technique (acrylic, watercolor, or oil-based). It's the whole package. That's what counts.

If, say, a painter is going to make a small painting, and it's going into a gallery, next to an exhibit of a larger than life artist, well, which one is going to stand out?

Example #1.
One of my favorite artist created an absolut vodka painting thats 68 x 48. it's in my room, next to a portrait of andy warhol thats 24 x 28. Both use bright colors, both are gorgeous, but clearly the eye is going to be attracted to 68 x 48 painting.
Unless you're a midget. Than both look big. In which case, I apologize.

One of my favorites for the road.
By John Stango.
www.johnstango.com

No comments:

Post a Comment